SET UP 2-FACTOR AUTHENTICATION ON A PC:
1. Log in at www.facebook.com and click on the down-pointing arrow at the rightmost side of the top bar as in the photo below:
2. Click on Settings
3. Then click on Security and Login
4. Scroll down to "Use two-factor authentication" and click on the "Edit" button by the right
5. On the next screen, select "Use Authentication App"
6. Enter your password to continue
7. Now open the Duo Mobile app on your smartphone. You will use it to scan the QR code in the next step. Click the "+" icon at the top right or click "GET STARTED" to open the scanner
8. Scan the QR code on the left or tap the 32-digit code at the right (in the photo below).
(To scan the QR code, focus your smartphone camera so the QR code appears in the scanning area):
If for some reason you prefer to use the codes, click on the "NO BARCODE?" button (labelled "N") in the photo above.
Then scroll down and select Facebook from the list that appears:
Enter your Facebook email and the 32-digit code. You should see a screen with a 6-digit code and a timer by the right. Note the circled 6-digit code.
Now go back to your Facebook on your PC and enter the 6-digit code displayed in the Duo
You will see a notification (after entering the 6-digit code) that Two-Factor Authentication is On. Congratulations ;)
Very IMPORTANT! Remember that your two-factor authentication is secure as long as you don't expose your codes. Facebook isn't going to call you and ask you to tell them your code. Keep them to yourself. Cheers!
Questions and Answers from the live class
(Answers modified to better address the questions)
#1: What's your opinion on using password management systems like LastPass, dashlane?
Response: They are equally good. Find a good one and stay updated regularly in case of data breaches.
The second question is based on a point I raised in the live class on how one of the 2-factor authentication apps got hit by a malware - a kind of virus):
#2. What if malware gets to Duo Mobile too like it did Google Authenticator?
Response: In such an event, unlink all the accounts you set up as soon as possible. I post updates on technology regularly and you will get the information if such happens. Click this link to connect with me on Whatsapp if you would like to receive similar updates.